- Message from Jason Sewell, Colossians 1:15-23
- Prepare your heart for worship by listening to the worship set.
- We’re excited to launch a new curriculum for all ages this Sunday called The Gospel Project, while also offering an additional option or two for adults at any given time. We hope you will consider staying for our Education Hour, which will encourage and inform you, as well as create an opportunity for fellowship and personal application.
SAFE FAMILIES FUNDRAISER… Several Faith Church families are involved with Bethany Christian Service’s ministry, Safe Families, which provides host families to help parents who need temporary care for their children as they work through unmanageable or critical circumstances. Jill Davis is hosting a table at their annual fundraiser: “Love a Child, Restore a Family.” It will be held Thurs, 11/9 at 6:00PM at Wyndham Garden Sterling Heights (34911 Van Dyke Ave). Contact Jill (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in attending.
WEDNESDAY EVENINGS BEGINNING IN OCTOBER… The Faith Church family is invited to join us for one or both of the following new ministries happening on Wednesdays this fall. Contact Pastor Steve if you plan to attend either or would like more information. Note the weeks these groups meet have switched from previous announcements to better sync up with Middle School Youth Group.
- Explorer’s Missional Community. If you’re looking for a place to connect that also explores various ways to engage in mission with others from Faith, join us each 1st & 3rd Wednesday beginning October 4 from 5:45-7:30. After a simple potluck together, we’ll explore different ways to be about Up (Bible study, discipleship), In (fellowship, encouragement), and Out (trying out various ideas and opportunities to serve together). Everyone is welcome, and we will also be ministering to our children, so bring your kids! 3rd Wednesday overlaps with the Middle School Youth Group.
- Faith & Culture Forum. 2nd Wednesday of each month beginning October 11 from 5:45-7:30. We’ll begin with fellowship around a provided meal (5:45-6:30; suggested $5 donation/person), followed by a time for kids and the forum for adults (6:30-7:30). The forum will help adults navigate our current cultural “waters,” as well as equip parents & mentors to help our kids navigate them, as well. First topic on 10/11: “Culture & the Purpose of Our Salvation” will explore what culture is, how it affects us, and how the gospel calls us to engage with it.
SUPPORT THE FAITH CHURCH MISSIONS BUDGET WHEN YOU SHOP AT AMAZON.COM… All you have to do is visit this page https://smile.amazon.com/ch/38-2625147 and confirm that you would like .05% of your Amazon.com purchases to be donated to Faith Church (we’ll never see what you purchase).
SERVE THE CHILDREN OF FAITH CHURCH… Please contact Ann Strombeck (email@example.com or 248.690.9659) if you are able to be a classroom helper for a children’s Sunday school class.
BUILDING SECURITY UPDATE… For the safety of church staff and guests the doors to Faith Church will now remain locked during business hours (Monday – Thursday 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM). To access the building, please use the doorbell that is next to the far-right door at the entrance or call the church office number at 248-651-3535.
CLOTHES SWAP, SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 23RD FROM 9:30AM – NOON… For the past several years, Faith Church has supported our community with a clothes swap. The event attracts and serves many families from the community. A clothing swap is a totally FREE event. It’s called a swap because people bring clothes they no longer need and take clothes they do need. If you can help in any of the ways listed below, contact Heidi Morris (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Donate Your Clean, used Clothing: We accept all sizes of clothing for men, women and children. If you have clothes to donate, you may drop them off at church on Wednesday, September 20th from 6:00PM-7:30PM, Thursday, September 21st from 8:30AM – 2:30PM and 5:00PM – 7:00PM, or Friday, September 22nd from 9:00AM – 12:00PM.
- Help Sort the Clothes: Volunteers are needed on Thursday and Friday, September 21st and 22nd to help sort the clothes that are donated.
- Help on the Day of the Swap: Volunteers are needed to help welcome visitors, sort new clothes as they are donated and pack-up leftover donations.
Missional Communities are small or medium-sized groups of people who seek to live Up-In-Out together by encouraging each other’s spiritual growth, forming friendships of support and encouragement, and serving together in some way outside our church to be a blessing to our community. Please take a moment to read through the different group missions. Contact the group leader for more about how those elements are encouraged in the specific group.
Opportunities for Prayer
Sunday Morning Prayer Group (Conference room at 8:45AM) – We pray through a specific discussion topic or part of the Bible followed by personal and corporate church prayer requests. Over and over again, Christ pointed out that prayer and God’s word, followed up by action are our primary weapons in the spiritual battle that is occurring every day. We’d love to have you join us in the front lines of this spiritual battle. For more info contact Pat Dolan (email@example.com).
Praying for Adult Children – Are you weary from concern about your adult children? God gives believers effective tools to do battle against the enemy: faith, hope, prayer and the Holy Spirit. Join us on the first and third Monday of the month from 7:00PM-8:00PM for intercessory prayer in the Conference Room. Confidentiality and support in a non-judgmental atmosphere are cornerstones of this group. If you have questions or would like to submit a confidential prayer request on behalf of your child, please contact Gail Warnick (248.606.5683). The first meeting for Fall will be Monday, September 18th.
Thursday Prayer – Andrew Murray once said, “Prayer is the highest part of the work entrusted to us, the root and strength of all other work.” Join us if you are able each Thursday from 12-1 PM in the sanctuary for prayer starting September 21st. We will be praying for kingdom breakthrough and gospel fruit in our people, ministries, city, and world, as well as praying for any special needs any of us would like to share.
Christian Education Classes for Adults
The Gospel Project (Room 203)
The Gospel Project is a three-year chronological journey through the Bible. Curriculum is customized for early and late elementary, youth, and adults, allowing an individual to jump in at the appropriate level and allowing families to all study the same passage of Scripture together, encouraging family discipleship throughout the week. Features include:
- Promotes gospel transformation, not behavior modification as each session highlights how the passage points to Jesus and the gospel as the source of life-transformation and the foundation for spiritual growth.
- Shows how the whole Bible fits together, from Genesis to Revelation, revealing God’s plan of redemption through Jesus Christ.
- Encourages a life of mission, as every session challenges you to consider how the gospel compels us to live for Christ every day.
- Teaches the key themes of Christianity by highlighting 99 essential doctrines every Christian should know as they are found throughout the Bible, preparing you to better share and defend your faith.
Jason Sewell will teach the adult class, and Darren Anderegg will teach the youth. If you’re willing to rotate in to teach a children’s class, contact Ann Stromberg (firstname.lastname@example.org). Learn more at www.gospelproject.com.
The Path to Spiritual Growth (September 17-December 17 in Room 201)
Ever feel that your relationship with God was stale? Ever feel stuck in a spiritual rut? Check out the class co-taught by Aaron Kazmierczak and David Snyder on a fresh look at the spiritual disciplines. Based on the work of Richard Foster and his book, Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth. See again how the spiritual disciplines can help us toward inner transformation and liberation.
Faith Church Discovery Class… New to Faith Church? Interested in membership? Simply want to learn more about who we are, what we’re trying to do around here, and how to get plugged in? Join Pastor Steve for the Fall Discovery Class from September 17 – December 17 in the sanctuary. We will explore our vision, values, ministries, EPC distinctives, and ways to get involved. The class is required for membership, but it is also a great way to learn more about Faith Church, get to know the pastor, make some new friends, and get plugged in.
Save the Date
September 24: Message from Steve Sage, Judges 1-2:5
Full calendar: http://faith-epc.org/calendar/
Each week we collect food for Military Avenue’s Food Bank in the baskets by the front doors. Click here to see their current stock levels/needs. You can help by donating any of the items on the chart, but their most immediate needs are those with less than 30%.